Chapter 2 - Media As Epistemology
1. What is Epistemology? The theory of knowledge.
2. What is resonance? The quality in a sound of being deep, full, and reverberating.
3. What is truth without a written language?
4. Why is Postman so concerned about the psychology of the way humans are affected by language and media?
5. How was rhetoric even conjured?
REACTION:
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I found out that Neil Postman has a very expansive mind and is very focused on the way things will be in the future. I constantly question myself on the daily "What is time?", "What is life?", "Why are we here?", "How did we get here?"; it is an ongoing tremor of questions. Postman wrote a lot about how the spoken language became a written language. It took another form, a whole other perspective. I have thought the same as he has. He quotes in the book, "The written word endures, the spoken word disappears; and that is why writing is closer to truth than speaking. Our written statement would represent the truth. Our oral agreement would only be a rumor." That is absolutely a phenomenal thought. What is truth without a written language? Anything people said was assumed to be factual and true before we started recording and documenting because there was nothing favoring ideas and nothing tearing down ideas. It was all just completely neutral, real truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment